May 24, 2013

Slow Cooker Applesauce (with no refined sugar)




Note: I doubled the recipe here, but the photos are from my smaller experimental batch.

  •       10 tart apples (I used Fuji)
  •       2 sweet apple (I used Ambrosia)
  •       2-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  •       1/2 cup apple juice or water
  •      Flavor it however you like by adding any of the following ingredients: ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg, one teaspoon citrus zest and/or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

  1.   Peel half of the apples (you can peel all of them, but I like leaving half un-peeled for just the right amount of texture plus a little added fiber and anti-oxidants)
  2.      Thinly slice the apples and then cut the slices in half
  3. Dump all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and set on high for three hours. Note: If you choose to add vanilla extract, add it once the applesauce is done cooking.



No comments:

Post a Comment