This fruit salad can really be made for any occasion but is particularly special for an Easter brunch centerpiece. You can also make some slight alterations to the watermelons shape make it look like a bassinet for a baby shower. Before I dove and made it I thought it would be challenging, but actually it was really easy. Let's get started!
You will need...
- A watermelon (look for one that is oblong)
- Your favorite fruit salad
- A SHARP chef's knife
- A SHARP paring knife
- A non-toxic marker (like Crayola)
Now that you have gathered everything...
- Slice the bottom of the watermelon to create a stable surface.
- Draw a line around the watermelon just above the "equator."
- Then find the half way points on the "equator" you just drew and draw two lines equidistant from the center points.
- Carve away the sections you drew out to create a "handle" (don't forget to save the watermelon that you are cutting away to put it in your fruit salad).
- Carve the flesh out from under the handle.
- Use a melon baller or ice cream scoop to hallow out the watermelon and create a bowl. Be careful not to cut through the bottom!
- Now if you like you can add some decorative flare, I took my pairing knife and carved a zig-zag edge around the bowl and handle.
- Fill your now completed basket with fruit salad and you're done!